May in Philadelphia!

Momoko May is being sent around to MyMomoko members! Post on Flickr and bring the "Best of" photos here!
elfinity

May in Philadelphia!

#1 Post by elfinity »

Philadelphia City Hall is the seat of government for the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. At 548 ft (167 m), including the statue of William Penn at the top, it is the world's tallest masonry building: meaning, the weight of the building is borne by granite and brick walls up to 22 feet thick, rather than steel; the principal exterior materials are limestone, granite, and marble.

This funkeh sculpture was created by Claes Oldenburg in 1976. One of my favorites around the city.

Independence Visitor Center

Inside Liberty Bell Center
Well, of COURSE Mizuki would educate May on Women's Rights and Equal Rights movements. Mizuki is fairly politically active and savvy.

Sorry for poor focus - it was hard to get a shot with no people in it, and the light is funky in there.

In front of Liberty Bell

In front of Independence Hall

City Tavern - supposedly favorite of Bennie Franklin back in those days. These days, the waiters all dress up in Colonial getups. The food's ok, too.

I have to say, Philadelphia Mural Anti-graffiti projects are amazing on so many levels. They make the city look prettier; there are some stunningly beautiful art pieces among them; they depict city (and national) history; they range from realistic to decorative to fanciful to abstract; they draw on the community (many are painted by kids from ghettos who get organized into a project and there are artists supervising them, so later, that area does not get vandalized, because vandalizing would normally be done by the same kids, and who wants to vandalize something you or your neighbor worked so hard on?).

This mural is on the wall of a Shoprite that's off of Columbus Blvd. Trashy 'hood, but what a glorious mural! I believe it was sponsored by Shoprite (hence, I think, the floating produce), but don't quote me on that one.

Snyder Plaza is a little shopping place near Delaware Avenue/Columbus Blvd. - a really seedy 'hood. I'm not sure who was responsible for this mural.

Mikan
Admin

#2 Post by Mikan »

Gosh, lovely - and I really really love the anti-graffiti project! What a great idea!! I wonder if they have to re-paint them or make new ones as younger generations move up?

bo_anders

#3 Post by bo_anders »

Great! May and her friends teach us about USA and show us pretty pictures of themselves at the same time :)
And of COURSE Mizuki gave Jack a lesson about Women's Rights and Equal Rights too?
Poor focus? I thought it was Jack that took that photo :wink:

(You've really made the girls look rl sized in the pictures! Fantastic)
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

venlur

#4 Post by venlur »

Wow! I love graffiti! & May & her friend look like real people)

ivylattice

#5 Post by ivylattice »

Wow! Nice job! Very realistic scenes of showing a vistor around.

elfinity

#6 Post by elfinity »

OMG I never answered comments on this thread! >_<

Mikan - thanks! I think depending on location they either renew the paint (if it's a more famous one) or just scrape it all and do a new one.

Bo -
Poor focus? I thought it was Jack that took that photo
BWA-HA-HA! Yes, yes, that's what it was... >_>
Mizuki tries to give Jack all sorts of lessons, but with doubtable results.

venlur - thanks! Graffiti can be very creative, I like that kind, too.

ivylattice - thank you! I did my best ^_^

Tammy

#7 Post by Tammy »

Ooo, more lovely Momoko in the city scenes and Philly this time (gotta get me there some day)!
I love the way you have it scaled, to make it seem like Momoko is life size! :)
Desparately wanted: Momoko Ver.03ANsp!