PHILIPPINES: Muntinlupa (Metro Manila)-- Mini-Tour Of A Mall

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
yoof san

PHILIPPINES: Muntinlupa (Metro Manila)-- Mini-Tour Of A Mall

#1 Post by yoof san »

Yes I know. All countries have malls. :B The reason I picked this for my first set is because this is where most Filipinos, at least the ones in the cities ( :wink: Natalia), go to unwind (movies, window-shopping), play (arcades, etc), shop (doh :lol:), or simply cool off. (Malls here are air-conditioned. And humidity here is really bad, high or low temperature) They even have Catholic service (mass) on Sundays for shoppers! Malls in the Philippines NEVER get empty. (Of course unless they're closed. XD) I have yet to hear of a mall in the Philippines that needed to close down. And to think we're a third-world country! :lol:

Yes, those are railroad stop thingies behind Lili. Yes, they're inside the mall. This is Festival Supermall which used to be the biggest mall in the Philippines, until SM Mall of Asia was opened. This mall has a train with I think four or so railroad cars that fit quite a number of people. I didn't take a ride though because of time constraints.
Also, behind Lili to the right is National Book Store: the Philippines' version of Barnes & Noble, or Powerbooks (which this mall also has).

Here you can see the railroad tracks going over a kiddie car race track. How cool is that? :D This mall also has a huge two-level merry-go-round, and a mini-theme park with a roller coaster. :shock: I wanted to take pictures too but there were too many people there (I'm really not into crowds), and I didn't have enough time. ):

Sorry about Lili's undie showing. :shock: Another thing I also noticed about malls in the Philippines: they always have feng shui kiosks. This is probably because there are a lot of Chinese (most are already naturalized Filipinos anyway) who also happen to own a lot of businesses and establishments here. I don't really mind since I like feng shui. :3

Lili: "Japan Home Centre! I'm home!!!"
Uh, not quite.

Lili: "Ewwww jewelry?? PLEASE get me out of here..."
There are also rows of beaded jewelry stalls in here that carry Swarovski crystals (or so they say), freshwater pearls, among others. You can even ask the stall keepers to make customs for you!

Lili: "Finally here!"

Lili: "This is really why we went to this mall. Wall-to-wall toy goodness! Pinky St. anyone? Wouldn't mind having one myself. :wink: "

-_-; eheh. That's not true. There are several toy stores in this mall, but their merchandise are, well, mall-priced, if you know what I mean. A favorite (and also very busy) haunt of shopping gurus is a place called Divisoria in Manila. It has several malls, as well as stalls lined up beside the streets (sometimes even taking up space ON the streets!) Prices there are ROCK-BOTTOM. I just haven't mustered enough courage to go there yet, but I'm very intrigued about what it has to offer, specifically for fashion dolls. :D

I hope you guys enjoyed looking. :)
Last edited by yoof san on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

bluesime

#2 Post by bluesime »

That's really fascinated! I always want to travel to Asia countries especially those shopping center. Thank you so much yoofsan :) Good work !

ModMomoko

#3 Post by ModMomoko »

Does this mall have a Bench store? That's one of my favorite stores in P.I.
:D

yoof san

#4 Post by yoof san »

Aw, thanks Blue! Let me know if you ever come over so we can meet up! :D

ModMomoko this mall has two (at least that I know of) Bench stores. I love Bench too! :kissy:

bo_anders

#5 Post by bo_anders »

Great that you show us normal life in the Philippines (and with a Momoko too :) )
I must confess that the only thing I knew about the Philippines is where it is located on the map..... :oops:
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

teddybear4me2

#6 Post by teddybear4me2 »

yoof san wrote: Lili: "Japan Home Centre! I'm home!!!"
LOL. :lol:

Very nice shopping mall. I LOVE to shop. Thank you for sharing.
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

nataluna

#7 Post by nataluna »

you'd think malls in all countries might be the same, but there is still some local flavor that is different.

i like seeing a different side of Philippines than what i had heard about from my half-brother's family (my sister-in-law is Filipina and they have 2 kids that are my nieces). but i think they chose to live in a more rural area because the land is cheaper there, and so i didn't hear a lot about Filipino CITY LIFE. this is why yoofsan is winking at me :oops:

Mikan
Admin

#8 Post by Mikan »

Thanks! It's very interesting to see what different countries like in their malls!
(And no, the US generally does not have an interesting toy selection in the malls.)

Chuplayer

#9 Post by Chuplayer »

Mikan wrote:Thanks! It's very interesting to see what different countries like in their malls!
(And no, the US generally does not have an interesting toy selection in the malls.)
If any. The KB Toys that used to be at my local mall closed a few years ago. It housed so many memories. It was where I got lots of toy cars, got Mega Man 2 for my NES, and got freaked out by Teddy Ruxpin :lol: It was the only toy store there.

I loved the shots from inside the toy store. They were very interesting. I especially liked the one on top of the counter and the person behind it partly in view. That one was great.
Last edited by Chuplayer on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluesime

#10 Post by bluesime »

:) I will definitely contact you if I ever have a chance to go there !!! For sure :D

melissa

#11 Post by melissa »

Love your choice to show us your mall. It is huge!

nataluna

#12 Post by nataluna »

bluesime wrote::) I will definitely contact you if I ever have a chance to go there !!! For sure :D
yeah, same here!!

yoof san

#13 Post by yoof san »

Thanks everyone!

Bo no need to blush. :) There are countries I haven't even looked up, but if it ever turns up here, I'd be all interested. I'd love to see Sweden... :wink:

Dana, I don't usually like shopping cuz malls here are often crowded, but ever since I got into Momokos, I've been finding myself in malls more often than necessary. :lol:

Natalia I definitely agree.
I'd love to show rural living here as well. Hopefully when I visit one of the provinces, I'll have a chance to set up a shoot. :)

Mikan, yes not in the malls, but there's Big Lots, and other fab stores there where you can get cheap prices on items not sold here. :D

Chuplayer I love KB Toys. They have items that are more expensive than Wal-Mart sometimes, but then sometimes you can find an item or two there you can't find anywhere else. :shock: That's what I love about it.
I wanted to take photos of the other toy stores in that mall, but they said it wasn't allowed. :/

Melissa yes it is! It's not half as huge as Edmonton Mall in Canada, but it doesn't run out of surprises either. :)

Blue and Natalia, international Momoko meet!!! :D

dolldivatude

#14 Post by dolldivatude »

Great Mall, and awesome toy store! Lili is quite the tour guide. I love her sneaks and hoodie. My fave pic is the one with the feng shui(?) behind her.

As Bo_Anders stated, I'm afraid that the only thing I knew about the Phillipines is where it is on the map. :oops: I'm glad to see some personal pics of your world. I definitely want to know more now.

yoof san

#15 Post by yoof san »

:D Sonja yes she is. I got her sneakers from a Fashion fever set, and the hoodie from Khursten.

I was supposed to go to Manila today to do a shoot at Rizal Park and go around Divisoria, but some things came up so I had to postpone. Hopefully I still get to go to the toy stores up north tomorrow. :/