USA: Maryland - B&O Railroad at Olde Towne Gaithersburg

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
teddybear4me2

USA: Maryland - B&O Railroad at Olde Towne Gaithersburg

#1 Post by teddybear4me2 »

In my "home" town, the Olde Towne Gaithersburg Maryland where I used to live for 10 years (before I got married and moved to the neighboring town Rockville), railroad is a famous landmark in the city of Gaithersburg. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) was one of the oldest railroads in the United States. In 1873, the B&O Railroad was constructed and designed by Ephraim Francis Baldwin as part of his well-known series of Victorian stations in Maryland. The Gaithersburg station operated until 1982 when computerization rendered the manual observation obsolete. Now, one of the main functions of the railroad in the community is commuter service. The Maryland Area Rail Commuter (MARC) system services the station and is an alternate means of transportation into Washington, D.C.
This once active and glorious old train is now resting in a history park as Millie (Twin sister of katili’s Jezebel) takes us to a close look of the train and its station.

Last edited by teddybear4me2 on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

Mikan
Admin

#2 Post by Mikan »

Love how she looks like a seasoned traveler/tourist!
Nice photos - lovely summer day for trains and Momokos in Maryland!

bo_anders

#3 Post by bo_anders »

Aww!
You've captured two real beauties in your photo series.
Millie of course but also a US steam engine! *drools*

I've always wanted to have a model railroad with American trains.
The US steam engines are brutal, ugly and yet so beautiful! Raw power! :badger: :) *makes steam engine sounds and blows the horn* :oops: :wink:
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

yoof san

#4 Post by yoof san »

I immediately thought of Narnia when I saw these photos. I've never been on a real railroad station. :D Thanks for sharing. These are very lovely Dana! And Millie's ensemble is smashing! :)

teddybear4me2

#5 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Mikan: Thank you. We had a company lunch at the near by restaurant, I took these photos prior to attending the gathering. After I took all the photo of Millie and realized I forgot to put on her cap. Well, maybe in the next set of photos, she gets to wear her favorite cap. :wink:

bo_anders: Thank you!! My son used to collect Thomas trains before he immerges into the pre-historic world of dinosaurs. Boys and Trains are sort of attached. :)

yoof san: The Last Train to Narnia? Good thinking. Thank you for your lovely comments. :daisy:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr

dolldivatude

#6 Post by dolldivatude »

Dana, your photos are superb! Seriously, it was the next best thing to being there. I love how vibrant Millie's hair looks. She is so cute and her outfit is great. Awesome! Thanks for showing us a piece of your world.

I have always been fascinated by trains. Even as a young girl, and I get to ride the Metra rail into the city everyday for work.

teddybear4me2

#7 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Dolldivatude: Wow, I really appreciated your kind comments!! :kissy: I am glad you like the photos and hope you have time to show us your world of Chicago as well. :daisy:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr

nataluna

#8 Post by nataluna »

i liked the fashion irony of military girl in camo pants (~_^)

and very nice train station! we have loads of trains here...

(which reminds me i need to do a post soon. i just need one prop that i can't find...)

teddybear4me2

#9 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Nataluna: thank you for your sweet comment. :daisy: Nothing fit better for Millie except the camo pattern. :wink:
Please do post soon; I cannot wait to see your town. :badger:

ps. I forgot to post this picture. It’s the front of the number #14 train. Maybe you can locate the some of the missing trains in your local area. :wink:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr

Mikan
Admin

#10 Post by Mikan »

Oh neat!
I like old trains :)

bo_anders

#11 Post by bo_anders »

Aww Dana, she's got a beautiful 'face'! :)
(Steam engines are female like ships aren't they?)
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

Candijacks
Admin

#12 Post by Candijacks »

Very cool!! I love this kind of historic site. My grandfather used to work on the railroads.

teddybear4me2

#13 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Mikan: I do too. Train traveling can be fun, if you are not in a hurry to get to a place. Plus, there won’t be any ear pain caused by rapid air pressure as I often get during the air travel. :B

bo_anders: Thank you!! She's a beauty, so I suppose a train could be referred as SHE. :>

Candijacks: That’s awesome!! The train engineers are COOL. :V
Visit My Dolls on Flickr

Mikan
Admin

#14 Post by Mikan »

teddybear4me2 wrote:Mikan: I do too. Train traveling can be fun, if you are not in a hurry to get to a place. Plus, there won’t be any ear pain caused by rapid air pressure as I often get during the air travel. :B
Except when high speed trains go into tunnels :B hehe

Novapony

#15 Post by Novapony »

Very interesting! I've always wanted to take a long trip on one.
Millie is a beauty! :)