USA:Chicago-Swap 'O Rama (A Local Flea Market)

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
dolldivatude

USA:Chicago-Swap 'O Rama (A Local Flea Market)

#1 Post by dolldivatude »

I actually live in a small suburb about 40 minutes outside of Chicago. Here we are visiting a flea market not far from our neighborhood. It is called Swap 'O Rama. This is where most of the teenagers and young adults in our area come to shop for name brand clothing and tennis shoes for greatly discounted prices.

A lot of the vendors would not let me take pics, and it was very crowded. But here are the few that I got:

Nadia was not sure at all about this trip. I felt the same way.

Is she going to drive? (I had to try this pic)

Swap 'O Rama

Bamboo

Cheap dollar store toys. There was no Barbie or anything nice. The outside vendors were scarce today because of the weather. Nadia does want one of those nifty retro cars, though.

These boots are made for walking...NOT

Baseball caps galore

Trinkets

I do like that I can get 10 pairs of socks for 10 bucks. My kids must eat their socks. They can never find socks.

yoof san

#2 Post by yoof san »

This is SOOO cool! Thanks for sharing! I've never been to a Swap 'O Rama. (I think I've seen it on Discovery Channel :lol: )

So did you get Nadia any of those retro cars? :drools: My favorite stall is the one with the baseball caps. Score!!! :D

nataluna

#3 Post by nataluna »

gotta love the flea market!!
i wish our local young people here would go to flea markets more. i was just at the closest fleamarket to me, today. and it seems to be mostly old people, people with little kids, and people of all ages from LatinAmerica. many of my younger students seem to resist going to the fleamarket, they prefer walmart and the mall (blah, how boring). i tell them to go to the fleamarket at least so they can hear a lot of Spanish (my subject) there!

anyway, nice photos, we get a feel for the place!

teddybear4me2

#4 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Wow, Swap 'O Rama is a great place for finding the bargain!! Nadia ought to have one of the nifty retro cars; she’s going to look very cool in them (if they are in 1:6 scale). Those Bamboos look very familiar, I have seen a lot of those in the oriental market, and I believe they are also called the “money trees”.(I am not sure why) :/
Thank you for sharing these wonderful pictures of your local. :daisy:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

dolldivatude

#5 Post by dolldivatude »

Thanks guys! I was hoping somebody would like to see this place. We go there a few times a month, and I'm sure the cars will still be there. Nadia is a shy girl, but kinda flighty. She had completely forgotten the car by the time we were home. My husband is into building model cars, and I love the powder blue one. I can see it coming home one day.

I like those bamboo. Once I bought one (not at the flea market) and didn't know what I had. I had no idea to water it. It was destroyed by the time I realized what it was. ):

Nataluna, I am quite glad that my teenage son is willing to shop at the flea market. Most of the designer clothes sold at the malls are really expensive. It would definitely cut into my dolly bucks. Plus, he would have a much smaller wardrobe.

This place is a lot of fun. There's usually a bargain to be found. Though I have never found anything interesting doll wise. I keep hoping that trinket place would get some miniatures of some of the jade elephants and budha statues. I've suggested it several times, but they just smile.

Mikan
Admin

#6 Post by Mikan »

Thanks for the pics! Awesome!
I like the pic where she is about to drive, lol! (I kept Gloria WELL AWAY from the steering wheel... I don't want her getting ideas!!)
Makes me want to go to a market. :)

The "bamboo" is not actually bamboo, by the way. They are dracaena, which is a genus of plants of which a number are houseplants.

Google images shows a wide variety of the genus:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&c ... a=N&tab=wi

Here is a care guide for "lucky bamboo" itself:

http://www.plant-care.com/lucky-bamboo.html

You may need to avoid tap water if you have fluoridated water, but even with fluoridation they will survive for some time (I think).

bo_anders

#7 Post by bo_anders »

Thanks for showing us that funny place! :)

I really like your picture of Nadia in the car :badger:
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

teddybear4me2

#8 Post by teddybear4me2 »

So that is called “Lucky Bamboo’, well, since this kind of plant symbolizes good luck, I guess people believe not only it brings green color into your room, but also bring fortune and prosperity. No wonder I have seen them selling everywhere, even in Ikea. :wink:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

dolldivatude

#9 Post by dolldivatude »

Thanks Mikan and Bo_Anders!

Mikan, thanks so much for the helpful info on "bamboo". I will definitely rmember it if I decide to buy another one.

Candijacks
Admin

#10 Post by Candijacks »

What a huge flea market! It seems like they have just about anything you could want!

Novapony

#11 Post by Novapony »

I love flea markets!! maybe one day you'll spot a Momoko for sale!! hehe