Chinese - Mid-Autumn Festival

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
teddybear4me2

Chinese - Mid-Autumn Festival

#1 Post by teddybear4me2 »

This year‘s Moon festival (also called the Mooncake or Mid-Autumn festival) falls on September 14th. That is when the moon is at its maximum brightness for the entire year. Around this time, you can find all kind of mooncakes in Asian bakeries. Mooncakes may be filled with everything from red bean paste, black bean paste, dates, nuts, green tea and fruit to Chinese sausages. My favorite one is the lotus seed paste with egg yolks (representing the four phases of the moon).

Snow is very excited to learn about the mooncakes. We just got back from the bakery with a mooncake shopping bag.

This is the deluxe box that is contained in that yellow shopping bag.

There are four tin cases in this box.

Beautiful picture of ladies painted on each tin. (We save these tins for keepsakes every year)

Finally, the mooncake is found nicely wrapped in side of the tin case.

These mooncakes are quite filling (and high in calories), meant to be cut diagonally in quarters and eaten in small wedges accompanied by Chinese tea.

Hope you enjoy the MoonCake scavenger hunt with Snow.

Have a Happy Moon festival everyone! Image

Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

nataluna

#2 Post by nataluna »

piao liang!!
this is a lovely item and the doll goes so nice with it.

also i think they make great chest/ottoman. i have some little storage boxes for my dolls to sit on, but this is even prettier.

(it occurs to me that things like mint tins, with the little hinged lid, might make good wall-cabinets for dolls)

happy moon festival!

astralprue

#3 Post by astralprue »

Your mooncake packing rocks. Mine comes in a chinese treasure box style with Li Bai's poems inside.

yoof san

#4 Post by yoof san »

Oooh these are so pretty! I'm excited about the festival! My favorite mooncakes are the ones with the red bean paste. Yum! :DYour Snow looks a lot like those ladies on the tin cases. :kissy:
astralprue wrote:Your mooncake packing rocks. Mine comes in a chinese treasure box style with Li Bai's poems inside.
I would love to see those! :)

nataluna

#5 Post by nataluna »

i like the redbean paste, too. need to check out the offerings at the big asian supermarkets, next time i am in charlotte!

Novapony

#6 Post by Novapony »

Cool! that mooncake looks scrumptious!! lotus seed paste sounds very exotic-I'd want to try all of them! hehe

ConnieGigi

#7 Post by ConnieGigi »

Oh! Good idea! Then I have to take some pictures too, I just went to the Chinese grocery store and bought a box of Wing Wah Mooncake.
But I like your mooncake boxes.

melissa

#8 Post by melissa »

:daisy: Happy Moon Festival :daisy:

I love the tin boxes your mooncakes came in and the cake looks so yummy :)

teddybear4me2

#9 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Nataluna: There are so many choices of mooncakes, but I have been attached to this particular one years after years. :)
Astralprue: wow, I want to see your treasure box with Li bai’s poems. :badger:
yoof san: My husband also likes red bean paste with no egg yolks. :V
Nataluna: Red bean is a very transitional and popular kind. :wink:
Novapony: You should try some. I would double the exercise minutes after eating one. :B
ConnieGigi: heehee, please do post. That’s what Moon festival all about. sharing the fun!! [/i] :wink:
melissa: thank you! One of my co-workers does not eat mooncake, but she loves to collect these tin boxes. :daisy:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

Marna

#10 Post by Marna »

Mmmm, that mooncake looks delicious! And the tins are beautiful. Snow goes very well with them.

Mikan
Admin

#11 Post by Mikan »

I really enjoyed the unwrapping of the beautiful moon cakes.
Especially liked the lovely ladies ... Momoko looks great alongside!

Thank you!

nataluna

#12 Post by nataluna »

i just noticed something - i used to go to the Chinese lunar new year festival in Charlotte (before i married a guy who doesn't really do festivals more than about once in 5 years :roll: ) and i know it's a different holiday, but your momoko really looks chinese here, because she dresses like a lot of girls and ladies dress when they go to those festivals... i think it's as simple as a top with some red, for celebration, + black pants because it's more dressy than another color.

yoof san

#13 Post by yoof san »

With what you said Natalia, and after several visits to this thread, I think I've fallen in love with Snow White Momoko... :sigh:

elfinity

#14 Post by elfinity »

OMG, I totally forgot!!!! I must get some mooncakes!

I really love your photostory - excellent bit of cultural exchange! These boxes are so gorgeous!

Chuplayer

#15 Post by Chuplayer »

That's some fancy packaging. My mom has a bunch of western-style tins, but I've never seen anything like that before. Very nice :)