USA, NY: Kevin visits the Ashokan Reservoir...

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
melissa

USA, NY: Kevin visits the Ashokan Reservoir...

#1 Post by melissa »

I wanted to show everyone pics of the beautiful Ashokan Reservoir in upstate NY. It along with other smaller reservoirs supply city dwellers with water.
ImageImage
There is a 1.25 mile marked and paved walking path along side of the upper basin of the reservoir. Here is the beginning of the path:
Here you can see the beautiful fall foliage:
There was a very strong sun yesterday, in fact, it was blinding and Kevin forgot her sunglasses:
The reservoir:
As we were walking:
Kevin came upon a cute wooly bear caterpillar:
We walked past clovers:
Snapdragons:
Drying grasses:
And even a yellow sign:
We walked to the half mile marker:
Then Kevin wanted to sit on the guard rail and take some pics:
ImageImageImage
View to the left of Kevin:
View to the right of Kevin:
All of these pics and a few more available to view super large on my flickr:

Mikan
Admin

#2 Post by Mikan »

Looks like you and Kevin had a lovely walk! The fall foliage is spectacular, and I just love that cute fuzzy caterpillar and the gorgeous pink clover... that's the most orchid-like clover flower ever ... lol.

yoof san

#3 Post by yoof san »

Kevin's so lucky to have enjoyed this walk with you. I really love the autumn colors there. We don't have that here much.

P.S. That caterpillar looks real cute, but I think it would've scared me in person. :lol:

teddybear4me2

#4 Post by teddybear4me2 »

I love the beautiful fall foliage view and all those lovely flowers in the wild (it’s amazing you know all their names). Wow, that caterpillar is so unique; it must be like a giant creature to Kevin. Wonderful photos, thank you for posting them. :daisy:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

nataluna

#5 Post by nataluna »

yeah i'm thinking that caterpillar would have been the size of a medium dog or a really big cat to her, right?

i like best the nature macros and kevin sitting on the rail.

great details and colors!!

Mikan
Admin

#6 Post by Mikan »

I'm wondering if the snapdragons are "butter and eggs" (toadflax)?

I started seeing them on the East Coast and just really like them!

Although... now I see it was introduced from the "steppes of Europe and Asia in the 1700s" ... and is an invasive species ... doh! (But I still think they are cute!)

Ah, the interesting factoids that come out of cultural exchanges... lol.

bluesime

#7 Post by bluesime »

Beautiful series. Melissa, you must live near Jennie too. Upstate NY where there are wonderful lake like this one. Kevin is such a lucky girl!! Love the series of her three photos together.
Thank you Melissa^^

melissa

#8 Post by melissa »

P.S. That caterpillar looks real cute, but I think it would've scared me in person.
yoofsan... that cute little caterpillar is only about 1.5 inches long :D Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the pics. I thought members might like to see the fall colors :)
I love the beautiful fall foliage view and all those lovely flowers in the wild (it’s amazing you know all their names)
Thanks Dana... I only know the names because my mother used to tell me when I was little and we went for walks.
yeah i'm thinking that caterpillar would have been the size of a medium dog or a really big cat to her, right?
LOL... actualy it was about the size of her shoe :D
I'm wondering if the snapdragons are "butter and eggs" (toadflax)?
Thanks Mikan...I only know them as snapdragons. These were very close to the ground like ground cover. :)
Melissa, you must live near Jennie too. Upstate NY where there are wonderful lake like this one
Thank you Blue... Yes, I live in upstate NY but it is a very big place (almost all of NY is considered upstate except for the actual city, which is a small portion of the state) so I don't know how close we actually are. :)

nataluna

#9 Post by nataluna »

wow i guess i got used to most of the bugs being bigger here. moved to SC from syracuse in 1996 and so it's been a long time.

dolldivatude

#10 Post by dolldivatude »

Such beautiful pics!!

Thanks for these. They have proven very therapeutic for me tonight. :)

Novapony

#11 Post by Novapony »

Thanks for these. They have proven very therapeutic for me tonight
Ditto
Lovely pics-I want to be there right now.. :)

elfinity

#12 Post by elfinity »

oooh, I missed this post!

So glad I've looked at it now! So so beautiful! I adore upstate New York at any time of the year, but the "golden fall" is an especially gorgeous time!

Looks like you and Kevin had a great time! Thanks for sharing.

blackiegracie

#13 Post by blackiegracie »

Oh wow! How did I miss these pictures?!

They are stunning Melissa! Your photos of the wildlife and scenery are amazingly beautiful!

Looks a perfect place for a walk! There's a similar place I love to go walking in San Diego, called Lake Murray, but I always forget to bring my camera and a Momoko!

Smiles :) Zoila