PHILIPPINES: Rizal Park (Manila)

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
yoof san

PHILIPPINES: Rizal Park (Manila)

#1 Post by yoof san »

I took these photos way back in September of last year or maybe even before that (I can't remember anymore), but I didn't post them because I felt I had too little to share, and I planned to go back for more... only I haven't gone back there yet. Bo convinced me to post them anyway. I can't promise but I really hope I can make a part two for this since there's lots more to see at this park.

Rizal Park is situated in the heart of Manila, the capital of the Philippines. It occupies about four blocks, possibly more. I'm not sure if it's the biggest park in the Philippines though, since I don't really go out that often. It's a pretty nice place to go to in the early morning, where a lot of joggers and health-conscious people conglomerate.

The Kilometre Zero marker in the Philippines is located in front of the Quirino Grandstand, exactly across the Rizal monument.

Mayumi isn't so sure she'd like an early morning jog. XD This was taken by the Quirino Grandstand (background) in front of Rizal Park in Manila. This place has been witness to many important events in Philippine history.

Dr. Jose P. Rizal is the Philippine national hero. This park, where he was executed, was named after him.

This is the spot where Rizal was executed. I remember back in '96 when I was part of a large group of choirs in the wee hours of the morning (OMG I used to sing??? XD ) that sang Mi Ultimo Adios, Rizal's parting letter that purportedly triggered the 1898 revolution, to commemorate his 100th death anniversary. I obviously didn't know the guy, but I did shed some tears back then. I just wish us Filipinos can do him justice and make this country a better place to live in...

bo_anders

#2 Post by bo_anders »

Thanks for sharing!
Very good and interesting pictures and I really like the guide :kissy:
Last edited by bo_anders on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

Chuplayer

#3 Post by Chuplayer »

I love that KM 0 pic. She got a little help there :lol:

Mikan
Admin

#4 Post by Mikan »

That's pretty cool!
I love the history lesson in that last photo. So good to know about the heroes of the past!!

yoof san

#5 Post by yoof san »

Thanks you guys! I really wish I can go back though. :cry: There honestly are nicer views in that park. (Oh and Mikan, I think I'm patriotic that way...)

blackiegracie

#6 Post by blackiegracie »

Very beautiful! That park looks so green and lovely!

Smiles :) Zoila

whispering-leaf

#7 Post by whispering-leaf »

yoof san thank you for posting here =)
Anna

nataluna

#8 Post by nataluna »

so interesting to read about Rizal.

my husband always tells about a guy who had a similar role in Colombian history, although not in the revolution from Spain, but more about reforming the colombian system.

i normally don't "get" patriotism, but when it's about remembering (and wanting to live up to) individuals or groups who fought for something better for their nation, well, i think that's a reasonable form of patriotism.

yoof san

#9 Post by yoof san »

Thanks Zoila and Anna! :)
nataluna wrote:so interesting to read about Rizal.

my husband always tells about a guy who had a similar role in Colombian history, although not in the revolution from Spain, but more about reforming the colombian system.

i normally don't "get" patriotism, but when it's about remembering (and wanting to live up to) individuals or groups who fought for something better for their nation, well, i think that's a reasonable form of patriotism.
:) Nat I'm with you about patriotism. For me it only truly manifests itself in times of (almost) tangible trouble in a nation. Kinda deep but yeah, that's how I see it.