Japan Food: Making Miso Soup

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
Uyek

#16 Post by Uyek »

Great post!

I love miso soup :D and your instructions are very easy to follow. Thanks!

By the way, are you on Flickr? If you are, please visit our group about the miso Re-ment set: http://www.flickr.com/groups/789670@N23/

I took the liberty of sharing the link to your photostory. I think people will enjoy it!

kirabarbie

#17 Post by kirabarbie »

Uyek wrote:Great post!

I love miso soup :D and your instructions are very easy to follow. Thanks!

By the way, are you on Flickr? If you are, please visit our group about the miso Re-ment set: http://www.flickr.com/groups/789670@N23/

I took the liberty of sharing the link to your photostory. I think people will enjoy it!
Thanks for the link. I don't understand why this set is called a "Sad Pan With Soup." I really like it and it comes with cool cutting board and knife. Plus, I love miso soup! I'll rename it to "Happy Pan With Soup." :-)

Uyek

#18 Post by Uyek »

:lol: :lol:

Even though we call it Sad pan With Soup, I think many people are very fond of the set ... or at least parts of it. I really like the scallions! Some of the posts and photos are tongue-in-cheek. But people also post photos of other sets they do not like.

I think the name SPWS has stuck because it sounds so funny. I think the set has become more and more popular. I don't know if we had anything to do with this but it is a lot of fun being silly about SPWS. You can read about the origins of the phrase "sad pan with soup" here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/re-mentadd ... ithsoup%22

Don't worry, Kirabarbie, deep down I am very fond of my SPWS/HPWS ... especially those scallions! :lol:

Mikan
Admin

#19 Post by Mikan »

Hehe I am glad that some Re-ment is unloved by everyone except me... once in a while I get great discounts or free pieces from sellers, like traditional Japanese foods or elementary school lunches. :lol:

Nightfall

#20 Post by Nightfall »

I know calling it "Sad Pan With Soup" was 100% responsible for me buying that set, so I think the group must've had some effect! :lol:

That was a really fun post! I loved your use of the re-ment, and coincidentally I just tried making soup for the first time last week. I had this idea it was hard, but it isn't at all! :roll: I do realize from your post I am using the wrong kind of seaweed tho. I just used the sushi kind because I had it. I'm not fussy tho, it still tastes ok! :D

I've tried making miso before with powder, but the paste is better, I think. Also, this way I can leave the fish out (I'm a vegetarian, so I try to avoid all the bonito flakes that are in... absolutely everything! d'oh!). The problem with the paste tho is that there's so much of it. How long does that stuff keep?

Jishin

#21 Post by Jishin »

Miso paste keeps practically forever. Just keep it in a sealed container, covered with the waxed paper it came with, in your fridge. I've never had it go bad.

Of course, exercise the usual food precautions -- if it smells bad or has visible mold, throw it out.

kirabarbie

#22 Post by kirabarbie »

To use miso paste up faster, invite some friends over to enjoy some soup! You can even show them the "Sad Pan With Soup" Re-ment. They'll get a kick out of it!

Mikan
Admin

#23 Post by Mikan »

My dad used to eat raw miso on raw whole scallions ... super salty and very sharply oniony though! :lol:

And now I am craving traditional Japanese rice with miso and onions mixed in.... Hungry.... :cry:

Skatingnun

Re: Japan Food: Making Miso Soup

#24 Post by Skatingnun »

This is so useful and cute at the same time! Thank you very much!

kirabarbie

#25 Post by kirabarbie »

You're welcome. This reminds me that I haven't made miso soup in a little while.

teddybear4me2

#26 Post by teddybear4me2 »

We have miso soup once a while; it’s very common and easy to make at home. I have no idea there are so many fun cultural trivia on the miso soup. Next time when I make the soup, I will surely look at it differently. :wink:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.