USA: New Mexico: A visit to the Albuquerque region

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
Mikan
Admin

USA: New Mexico: A visit to the Albuquerque region

#1 Post by Mikan »

Gloria came along with me on a trip to New Mexico.
First off, as you probably know, New Mexico is a dry place.

The architecture frequently uses the adobe look ("pseudobe" as my friends call it), as with these houses:

...and there is a Southwest Native American flair added in many places, as this road shows:

The landscape is frequently very colorful, as with this red rock area. Gloria got a real close up view.

There were Momoko-sized nooks worn into the side of the cliff. Here's one photo of the cliff face:
Wildflower growing nearby:

Soda Dam is a beautiful natural water feature a short drive away from the red rock area. This tourist stop even contains miniature caves.

Water flowing under the natural "dam":
Here, the water flows away from the "dam":
Close up of the rock in the area. It's porous - from volcanic activity of some kind.

There are many many different types of minerals throughout the Albuquerque, New Mexico area, where many ancient volcanoes sleep. Throughout my stay we picked up fossils in sandstone, chunks of shiny obsidian, chert, quartz, black hardened lava chunks and so on from places where it was legally OK to do so. There are also Native American arrowheads lying around on occasion.

Apparently September is the tail end of the monsoon season. Here, it is raining at one tiny corner of an ancient volcano (what you see in the background is just a tiny piece of the whole):

A rain storm approaches Albuquerque as it dumps water on Native American reservation land:

New Mexico is a place of open skies and stone and earth. It's a beautiful place and you should check it out if you get a chance!

Chuplayer

#2 Post by Chuplayer »

Wow! Those are wonderful photos, Mikan :) It looks so amazing.

Except for the volcano. Keep me away from the volcanoes :lol:

Mikan
Admin

#3 Post by Mikan »

Chuplayer wrote:Wow! Those are wonderful photos, Mikan :) It looks so amazing.

Except for the volcano. Keep me away from the volcanoes :lol:
Thanks!!

As for the volcanoes ... LOL there are LOTS of them in the area ... maybe you shouldn't visit. :lol: :lol: :lol: (Though I believe most are extinct.)

maywong

#4 Post by maywong »

Thanks for the great pixs. I was just looking for pixs. of caves and rocky places. :D

Jishin

#5 Post by Jishin »

I love New Mexico. Have you been out to see the cliff dwellings?
http://www.nps.gov/GICL/index.htm
We went a couple years ago over the Christmas holidays -- they are amazing!

Mikan
Admin

#6 Post by Mikan »

Maywong: I'll put up a couple more cave pics then, lol!

Jishin: That URL didn't work for me ... do you mean http://www.nps.gov/gicl/index.htm ? I didn't get to see them, but I want to! :)

Marna

#7 Post by Marna »

Gorgeous pics, beautiful colors. I love the one with her hair blowing in the mosoon. :D

Mikan
Admin

#8 Post by Mikan »

Marna wrote:Gorgeous pics, beautiful colors. I love the one with her hair blowing in the mosoon. :D
Thanks! I like that photo, too! Though, to let you in a secret, if I remember right, her hair was simply messy (but looked convincingly windblown, so I let it stay that way).

Jishin

#9 Post by Jishin »

Yep, that's the place! They are simply incredible. (: They're also one of the very few cliff dwellings left that tourists are allowed to visit -- make sure you go if you get a chance!

Chuplayer

#10 Post by Chuplayer »

Wow! Those extra cave pics are great!

Marna

#11 Post by Marna »

Mikan wrote:
Marna wrote:Gorgeous pics, beautiful colors. I love the one with her hair blowing in the mosoon. :D
Thanks! I like that photo, too! Though, to let you in a secret, if I remember right, her hair was simply messy (but looked convincingly windblown, so I let it stay that way).
LOL, I did that with a beach picture once :lol:

Mikan
Admin

#12 Post by Mikan »

Jishin: I do want to go! If/when I head back out there I'll try to get there! Thanks :)

Chuplayer: Yay! :) Glad you like them!

Marna: Haha it'll be our secret!!

maywong

#13 Post by maywong »

Thanks for the extra cave pixs. I love them.

melissa

#14 Post by melissa »

Wow, you've taken some pretty awesome shots. I love the extra pics you stuck in with Gloria at the red cave. Sounds like it was a pretty amazing trip. :)

Mikan
Admin

#15 Post by Mikan »

maywong: Yay! Why are you looking for rock/cave pics, anyway? Now I'm curious!

melissa: Thanks! It was a good trip. Too bad most of the relaxation has completely dissolved into a vat of resentment and frustration at the office. Time to win the Lotto and retire! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: