Chinese: Mid-Autumn Festival

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
ConnieGigi

Chinese: Mid-Autumn Festival

#1 Post by ConnieGigi »

Mid-Autumn Festival is coming again, it will be on 10/3/2009

This year I first trial to make some Mooncake mochi, it's not typical mooncake, this kind of Mooncake mochi been popular in Hong Kong for a few years, as it's hard to buy here in USA, especially in St. Louis, so I searched the recipe on youtube and made my first mooncake mochi.

The mooncake molds were bought from Hong Kong.

Cake skin same as ice-cream mochi skin. Stuffing is cooked sweeten egg+milk.

Jishin

#2 Post by Jishin »

Ooh, how neat! :D I've never seen a recipe quite like that -- it sounds delicious.

teddybear4me2

#3 Post by teddybear4me2 »

When Connie mentioned the name of this dessert called 奶黃冰皮月餅 to me. I have no idea what it is. Now I am seeing the picture, it looks so delicious. Your mooncake molds made them look even more authentic. I love mochi; they are soft and a bit chewy. Common mochi I got from store contain either red-bean paste or green-been paste. I have never had cooked sweeten egg+milk filling in mochi before. All your dessert creation are scrumptious, You are such a good baker.
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

bluesime

#4 Post by bluesime »

Awww, I want to try!!! Have to go to Hong Kong Town here to find them :D Your cakes look so good!!!

ConnieGigi

#5 Post by ConnieGigi »

Thanks Jishin, Dana and Blue!

Dana: I tried those Taiwan style mochi too, the mochi skin is so thick, but chewy, just like Japanese daifuku (草餅). I love daifuku. I used to have the recipe of making daifuku. But my husband doesn't like daifuku.

10/3 is mid-autumn, and my Mochi Mooncake almost gone, I am going to make some more, this time will make some green-bean paste stuffing. But I will need to go to Chinese grocery store to look around first.

Now, I know how to make the mochi skin, so how to wrap ice-cream in to make it like mochi ice-cream? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I'm going to be a Desert Mama.

Blue: I think you can find them at your China town.

Mikan
Admin

#6 Post by Mikan »

Those look so pretty! I think I have had these at Chinese restaurants/dim sum? They are sweet and slightly crumbly on the inside? A nice way to round out a meal!

(You should try to make mochi ice cream and tell us how! lol)

ConnieGigi

#7 Post by ConnieGigi »

Mikan, I don't think u can eat Mochi Mooncake at Chinese restaurant as dim sum, because it's a festival food, and usually cost so much during mid-autumn festival. :lol:

Mikan
Admin

#8 Post by Mikan »

Ahh, hmm, then I will just have to eat one sometime so I know what it tastes like!! :lol: :lol:

Roro

#9 Post by Roro »

Yum! Looks delicious :D

blackiegracie

#10 Post by blackiegracie »

They look delightful Connie!

Asian food is presented so beautifully in my opinion! Ahhh...

(I say, after returning home today from Mitsuwa Japanese market here in San Diego).

Smiles :) Zoila

kirabarbie

#11 Post by kirabarbie »

Wow, I've never seen Mochi Mooncake and yours looks so beautiful and delicious. Was it hard to make?

catsmeowski

#12 Post by catsmeowski »

Wow! So prettty!
I've had mochi with red bean paste when I was in Japan but I don't like the texture of the outside dough stuff.
Those look cool though, maybe I'll be able to get some at the Chinese supermarkets here.