SWEDEN - Midsommarafton (Sv) - Midsummer's Day

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
IngerK

SWEDEN - Midsommarafton (Sv) - Midsummer's Day

#1 Post by IngerK »

:daisy: Today, June 23, we celebrate Midsummer in Sweden :daisy:
" "
:daisy: The traditional events include raising and dancing around a huge maypole. Before the maypole is raised, greens and flowers are collected and used to cover the entire pole. Raising and dancing around a maypole is an activity that attracts families and many others. People dancing around the pole listen to traditional music and many wear traditional folk costumes. One typical dance is the frog dance.
:daisy: The year's first potatoes, pickled herring, sour cream and possibly the first strawberries of the season are on the menu.
:daisy: Midsummer Flowers According to an ancient rite, sunrise or sundown on Midsummer's day was an auspicious time to gather together a magical bouquet consisting of nine different flowers, (Christians later changed the number to seven). By "sleeping on the bouquet" (inside or underneath the pillow), boys and girls would receive dreams about their future mate. Some say you must choose your flowers naked and alone, :oops: preferably from plants found near a crossroad.
" "

Image :daisy: Image
:daisy:

/Inger :daisy:

More pictures : http://www.flickr.com/photos/22533650@N06/

maywong

Re: SWEDEN - Midsommarafton (Sv) - Midsummer's Day

#2 Post by maywong »

"Some say you must choose your flowers naked and alone, preferably from plants found near a crossroad." Hmmm... that might be a little hard doing that over here. :lol: :wink:

bo_anders

#3 Post by bo_anders »

9 flowers!? I've always used 7. That explains why it's never worked for me :cry:
I think I'll put a Momoko on, not under, my pillow tonight. I hope that works better :)
If it works as I hope it will, she might kiss me, the frog, and I'll become her young handsome prince and we'll live happily ever after :kissy:
hmm, I seem to be dreaming already :wink:
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

teddybear4me2

#4 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Love the photos. I actually learned the frog dance from Anders last year. :V
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

bo_anders

#5 Post by bo_anders »

I hope you had a great Midsommarafton Inger! :daisy:

Yay Dana!
Your frog rocks! We should dance like that around the maypole! :chairspin:

Btw, one Momoko on my pillow didn't work either...I think... hmm I did dream about a girl, but if she turns up on my doorstep I'll probably get a heart attack! But I'll die happy :)
If nothing happens though, I'll try with 9 Momokos on my pillow next year :ham:
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

Mikan
Admin

#6 Post by Mikan »

Very interesting, thank you!!
Any maypole pics?? :)