JAPAN - Instant ramen like you've never seen it - healthy?!

Momoko Global Cultural Exchange: Introduce your region, area, country, customs, culture, foods, local sights, with Momoko's help!
Mikan
Admin

JAPAN - Instant ramen like you've never seen it - healthy?!

#1 Post by Mikan »

Here's an idea for how to make a healthy meal out of your favorite package of instant ramen.
It uses only one cooking pot, so cleanup is easy.

Sugawara Bunta action figure: "Ramen delivery!"
Preppy Girl Momoko: "What? Delivery ramen AGAIN? Why don't we make something a lot cheaper and healthier at home??"

Preppy Girl Momoko: "First, gather the ingredients - your favorite instant ramen, vegetables, leftover meat, eggs, whatever."

Preppy Girl Momoko: "Chop your vegetables and have them ready. If you prefer, now is the time to boil your eggs."

Preppy Girl Momoko: "Cook the noodles as per package instructions, but do NOT use the soup packet!"

Preppy Girl Momoko: "DRAIN the noodles (which rinses away excess grease and starch), and put them in a ramen bowl. Set aside for the moment."

Preppy Girl Momoko: "Now, using the recommended quantity of water (2 cups or less), cook your vegetables. You can cook the eggs right in the same pot to the desired degree of doneness, assuming you didn't boil them earlier. Add the soup stock at the end. Also add any sliced lunch meat right at the end."

(NOTE: the egg(s) will tend to break up if they aren't nestled in a ton of vegetables.)

Preppy Girl Momoko: "When everything is cooked, just pour it carefully over the noodles and you have a healthy, vegetastic bowl of instant ramen!"

(NOTE: To make it look nicer, definitely boil the eggs ahead of time. But I'm super lazy so I cook them with the vegetables :oops: )

Sugawara Bunta: "Too many ... vegetables ... too healthy ... must go find potato chips...."
Preppy Girl Momoko: "Oh well, can't win them all!"

Chuplayer

Re: JAPAN - Instant ramen like you've never seen it - health

#2 Post by Chuplayer »

Cute and informative. I like it! I never knew you could do so much with one of those typical packs of ramen.

elfinity

#3 Post by elfinity »

Aww, poor action figure dude ^_^ This was well-written (and cute and funny)... Wow, maybe I can get my son to like this version (we haven't had any ramen noodles in ages, because I'm trying to be healthy, but it's not a popular decision ^_^ )

Mikan
Admin

#4 Post by Mikan »

Thanks Chuplayer and Elfinity!!
Yes, you can do a lot with a package of ramen! :D This is how I grew up eating ramen, in fact.
I can eat a ton of vegetable servings this way - in fact, it's so much food, I could split 1 ramen package between two people the way I cram in the vegetables. :lol:
I also like to use home made chicken stock, but the sodium load goes pretty high when I do that (but I like sodium... :oops:).
Go ahead, give it a shot :> Great for most leftover meats and vegetables from previous meals, too!

teddybear4me2

#5 Post by teddybear4me2 »

Very healthy ramen, indeed!! I always thought ramen (instant noodle) should be ready in no more than 3 minutes. The way you made ramen, we should give them a new name. :wink:
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

bo_anders

#6 Post by bo_anders »

Nice story and photos! Yummie! :V

*does a quick google search to find out what Ramen is and to fill a big gap in his knowledge of food*
Anders

You will find all my Momoko girls here

Mikan
Admin

#7 Post by Mikan »

Teddybear4me2: LOL not so instant ... takes about 10-15 minutes :)

Anders: Woohoo, glad you learned something new! :) I should note that instant ramen does not taste much like real ramen. In fact, here in the US, I never got to eat "real" ramen until I moved to California (well, aside from having it in Japan). There is a lot of bad ramen even in California (and Japan of course), but some ramen is quite good. (Still nothing like instant, though! :lol: )

The lack of similarity between "real" ramen and "instant" ramen is one reason I feel little guilt in putting in weird ingredients like ... broccoli ... LOL. Though I've had Nagasaki-style chanpon (ramen-like) (here in California), which contains cabbage and all sorts of seafood. So I guess you can put in whatever you want. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chanpon

P.S. Ramen is also good with spicy Korean hot sauce and kimchi added, as my Korean friends will tell you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

kirabarbie

#8 Post by kirabarbie »

Yummy!

Mikan
Admin

#9 Post by Mikan »

kirabarbie wrote:Yummy!
Yes it is!! The vegetables are so tasty this way, too! :> :>

teddybear4me2

#10 Post by teddybear4me2 »

It makes me hungry every time when I see this thread pops up. Especially I just missed my lunch today.
Visit My Dolls on Flickr
Enjoy Life's Simple Pleasures.

Mikan
Admin

#11 Post by Mikan »

teddybear4me2 wrote:It makes me hungry every time when I see this thread pops up. Especially I just missed my lunch today.
:lol: :lol: Awesome! Glad it looks good! Get some ramen, vegetables, and eggs, and you are good to go! :lol: :lol:
(I just ate a huge Italian dinner and this thread is making ME hungry... :B )

lubodaczny

#12 Post by lubodaczny »

Delicious! I was in Japan last year and I miss the food, the people, everything! Thanks for sharing this lovely post!

Mikan
Admin

#13 Post by Mikan »

Aww glad you like it :)
It definitely is different from real ramen, though! A LOT more vegetables unless you're comparing to Nagasaki Chanpon.